Friday, May 24, 2013

The Hot Club

We were talking about golf. Fleet Feet Pete said he played military golf – left, right, left, right. Mr. D. reminded me that I was one of the worst caddies ever. My short stint as a caddy lasted only 9 holes because I failed to follow the track of the golfer’s ball. The Fleet One also said he had a ‘giraffe’ golf shot. High and it stinks. Poli Sci Steve told me to read The Creature From Jekyll Island by G. Edward Griffin. It’s about the Federal Reserve. Wikipedia reveals that Mr. Griffin, a child actor, has also done documentaries. Griffin has also been a John Birch member and officer much of his life. Mike Module, a Pawtucket native like myself, was talking about growing up around Slater Park where they once had ‘Monkey Island’. Mike M thinks we need to have a song about it. Monkeys in Pawtucket. Ernie and Alexander the Great and I were talking about Dire Straits. I mentioned seeing them at the Leroy Theater in Pawtucket in their heyday – Sultans of Swing. Ernie thought it was late ’70’s. Alex thought early ’80’s. It was 1978 after a web check. Scarlet, the Hot Club bartender, is in a band called Lolita Black. I asked her what kind of music they played and she said, “Rock n’ Roll.” Charlie Clancy told me something about Teddy Ball game that I did not know. He said Ted Williams did not play the last three games of the 1960 season, games played in NY against the Yankees with sellout crowds hoping to see the final games of the Splendid Splinter’s career. Williams had hit a homerun in his last at bat in Fenway (against Jack Fisher). He didn’t travel to New York. A Zine moment. A Charlie moment. LAST WEEK’S QUIZ ANSWER If you looked at my E-MAIL, you can see that there were some varied responses to my question asking for two bands whose names had strong sexual connotations. The bands I was looking for – Steely Dan and 10 CC. Steely Dan is the name of a strap-on dildo in William Burrough’s Naked Lunch. 10 CC was supposed to be more than the normal amount of semen in male ejaculate (3 CC), to show their prowess (Jonathan King differs). THIS WEEK’S QUIZ This couple sang back up on the most played rock ‘n’ roll song of the 20th century. So give me the name of the song and the couple.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home